Perhaps you have found yourself stuck in a long distance relationship due to your significant other working in a different state, having to go away on a temporary working assignment, leaving temporarily for school, or for other reasons. The fact of the matter is that long distance relationships can be difficult. Relationships are built on communication and understanding, but what happens when you can only communicate via the phone? Skype may be an option but the reality is that nothing compares to spending quality time with one another in the flesh.
Unfortunately if you are not a phone or Skype person you have to work extra hard to keep the love alive. You have to learn how to not take comments personally and instead letting things roll off your back. Having the option of kissing and making up is not an option in a long distance relationship. If you argue you have to work it out by talking verses taking a drive and holding one another’s hand, assuring one another everything is alright. Long distance relationships can be challenging, but here is a list of ideas that will hopefully make your relationship go smoother and long lasting.
- When a misunderstanding arises, ask for clarification. Instead of assuming that your love is meaning one thing, ask them what you thought they were implying instead of starting an argument. You may be pleasantly surprised that they didn’t mean it the way it came out. Being patient and understanding will make the world of a difference when you are unable to bridge the gap with physical touch or spending time with one another.
- Make plans to see one another as often as your schedules allow. Having plans to look forward to make the time go a lot quicker when you are missing your significant other. If you can squeeze in a concert, a restaurant you’ve been dying to try, or a movie you’ve really wanted to see, creating a memory is a great way to make the precious moments last when you do get to spend some time with your significant other.
- If you are bad at picking up the phone, schedule a phone date with your boyfriend or girlfriend every night so you can be sure that you are staying up to date with one another. Letting one another know how your day went, what is coming up in the coming days, and what you are excited or frustrated about in the present moment will create a tighter bond and help you grow closer together. Plus your relationship will be stronger than ever because it will be built on communication and not just physical intimacy.
- Keep the love and trust alive by staying honest. If you keep things from the person you love, how is the trust and love supposed to stay alive? Being open, honest, and communicating your thoughts is the best way to help a relationship succeed.
These tips should hopefully make the time go by quickly and help you look forward to a wonderful time that you will be hopefully spending with your loved one soon. Being away is no fun, but can you imagine the memories you will create when you are together again? If you have the option to bridge the distance by moving or taking another job, that is the best option, but sometimes a long distance relationship cannot be helped. So take a deep breath, put both feet in, and do your best to communicate and create a long distance relationship worth keeping.
An ocean dreamer at heart and in real life, Sierra Greenman thrives on visiting and living near the beach and could never imagine herself anywhere else. She recently ventured out into the freelance world and now is a Freelance Writer and Social Media Specialist and absolutely loves it. Writing about fashion and style are one of her many passions. You can also find Sierra at her blog Ocean Dreams and follow her on Twitter @oceandreams4u. She also is a featured fashion blogger for JoeShopping.com and her e-mail is [email protected] if you want to say hello!
- Office Relationship Do’s and Don’ts (singleonlinedating.org)
- Love and Money: Managing Finances to Avoid Relationship Stress (debt-consolidation-2u.com)
Surviving a Long Distance Relationship with Communication and Understanding by Steve